제22회 서울국제금융포럼 > Forum & Conference

본문 바로가기

파이낸셜뉴스 부산파이낸셜뉴스 가이드포스트 파이낸셜뉴스재팬 fnMICE

지난행사목록

본문

Distinguished guests,

Thank you for joining us. The Seoul International Finance Forum hosted by Financial News 

has been held annually for the past 22 years. I would like to express my gratitude to the Korean government and finance leaders from home and abroad for making this forum possible.

Every year, the forum selected a financial agenda of the year to provide an opportunity 

to search for solutions in the agendas preemptively. This year, under the theme of 

“Next Wave of Finance: Why ESG?”, we have provided a platform for conversation on this issue.

As you have just seen in the video, ESG—environment, society, and governance—is 

no longer a choice but a necessity. The most prestigious financial firms are joining 

the Equator Principles one after another. The Equator Principles, as you all know, is considered 

as the ESG Code of Conduct in international finance sector. This implies that financial firms will 

refuse to provide any finance or financial support to all businesses and projects that are against 

this principle. As of March, 2021, 37 countries around the world including Korea and 120 financial 

firms have been found as the members of the principle. It shows that ESG wave in the financial 

sector, surely, is more than a temporary interest.

As the world entered year two of the pandemic, there is a much higher interest in environment, 

especially climate change. With the inauguration of the Biden Administration, the United States is 

also paying a close attention to climate change. Many people are saying, “It is not an investment 

if it is destroying the planet.” No company in the world can turn a blind eye to sustainable 

economy today. I believe the same goes for finance. 

Distinguished guests,

Immanuel Kant, a German philosopher, said, “A good will would still shine like a jewel by itself.

” I believe that ESG management gives a finance sector a wonderful opportunity to express

the good will towards clients, employees, local communities and even humanity. I would like to 

take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the chairpersons of financial holding companies, 

who have been taking a special interest in social responsibilities of the sector.

Moreover, I would like to thank the 1st Vice Minister Lee Eog-weon of the Ministry of 

Economy and Finance, our co-organizer and Vice Chairman John Frank of the Oaktree 

Capital Management, and Director Morgan Després, the Head of the NGFS Secretariat. 

I hope you find today’s forum helpful and informative, and I wish all of you good health. 

Thank you.

Jeon, Jae-Ho

Chairman, fn Media Group

첨부파일

서울특별시 서초구 강남대로 315, 파이낸셜뉴스빌딩 9층 | TEL. 02-6965-0016 | FAX. 02-6965-0000 | E-mail : 8amwon@fnnews.com
Copyright ⓒ파이낸셜뉴스. All rights reserved.