제12회 서울국제금융포럼 > Forum & Conference

본문 바로가기

파이낸셜뉴스 부산파이낸셜뉴스 가이드포스트 파이낸셜뉴스재팬 fnMICE

지난행사목록

본문

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to welcome you all to the 12th International Financial Forum. I would give special thanks to

Kim Suk-dong, Chairman of the Financial Services Commission and Hwang Kun-ho, Chairman of the

Korea Financial Investment Association. I would also like to thank CEOs from various financial

companies and the panelists from overseas. I truly believe that your presence and support will add value

and reputation to this forum.

It has been two years since the global financial crisis occurred. Most stock markets around the globe

have recovered to their pre-crisis levels but scars remain in from employment and housing markets

to retirement pension sectors. The world economy, however, ran into unexpected snags.

Pro-democracy movements in the North Africa and the Middle East, and a tragic earthquake in Japan

have brought brand-new uncertainty to the market, and the inflation caused by rising commodity prices

such as oil starts to cause instability in not only emerging economies but advanced economies as well.

The fragile global financial system will take time to be restored to the full extent. It’s true that the skills

or products that had been made to hedge risk actually increased risk. This is exactly behind this

year’s theme “Reshaping the Financial Markets.

Financial markets work best when they are transparent, open and competitive. The Korean Financial

Investment Services and Capital Markets Act began to be enforced two years ago to satisfy these

objectives. Unfortunately, the 2008-09 financial crisis put the Korean government in an awkward

position, pursuing both less regulation to promote competition and more supervision to stabilize

the financial system at the same time.

To my knowledge, the authorities already began to review the law to incorporate this challenging

demand. No doubt that the stability of financial system is important but it is time for Korean financial

services companies to stand out as competitive private businesses. The opportunity to leap one step

forward does not come very often.

Korean financial companies were hit less by the crisis but didn’t seem to seize a great opportunity

either. That is, they have neither increased their global market share nor they have learned advanced

skills for trading and/or structuring products. On the contrary, it’s said that the gap with global financial

giants have actually got wider. So, as the host, I hope those views and experiences that both local and

foreign experts will share in each session will benefit local financial companies.

Thank you again for your support and participation.

Seong C. Gweon

President & CEO,

The Financial News

첨부파일

서울특별시 서초구 강남대로 315, 파이낸셜뉴스빌딩 9층 | TEL. 02-6965-0016 | FAX. 02-6965-0000 | E-mail : 8amwon@fnnews.com
Copyright ⓒ파이낸셜뉴스. All rights reserved.