제09회 서울국제파생상품컨퍼런스 > Forum & Conference

본문 바로가기

파이낸셜뉴스 부산파이낸셜뉴스 가이드포스트 파이낸셜뉴스재팬 fnMICE

지난행사목록

본문

Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished guests.

I would like to welcome you to the 9th Seoul International Derivatives Conference. Since the first meetings

back in 2003, this conference has gained a lot of attention not only from the local financial markets but from

other parts of the world as well. 

The world financial markets recently suffered from unprecedented volatility. The greater sovereign risk

provoked by the downgrading by S&P dealt a finishing blow to the equity markets throughout the world.

I'm sure even many professional traders and money managers got tired of this kind of market gyrations.

It seems the crisis is still underway.

The derivatives have been accused for their alleged role in the financial crisis of 2008. The leveraged

operations are said to have generated an 'irrational appeal' for risk taking. It's not surprising that G20's

proposals for financial markets reform all stressed these points, and suggested higher capital standards,

stronger risk management and international surveillance of financial firms' operations.

But no one can deny that derivative products are now a part of the global financial markets, if not a part of

our lives.For example, an exporting company might want to buy currency forwards in order to limit losses

due to fluctuations in the relative values of more than two currencies. 

Believe it or not, the Korean government is going to finalize shortly the introduction of hedge funds into its 

own supervising territory. Timing couldn't be better(or couldn't be worse) since local candidates for prime

brokers or fund managers will have to confront headwinds in the market, right off the bat. 

So I believe the main topic for this year - "Alternative Investment Markets: Realities and Prospects" - more

than appropriate for the current market environment. I hope our panelists will share their top-notch insights

and experiences with us.

Thank you.

Seong C. Gweon

President & CEO,

The Financial News

첨부파일

서울특별시 서초구 강남대로 315, 파이낸셜뉴스빌딩 9층 | TEL. 02-6965-0016 | FAX. 02-6965-0000 | E-mail : 8amwon@fnnews.com
Copyright ⓒ파이낸셜뉴스. All rights reserved.